More popular than traditional sports with today's youth generation, action sports share a common lifestyle bond year round crossing from summer to winter, from beach to mountain, and from action sport to action sport. They have defined a unique lifestyle movement, driving fashion, music and consumer styles around the world.
In the USA, recent research indicates that 60% of teens and pre-teens prefer watching action sports on TV to watching traditional team sports. (Source: New York Times, Nov. 24, 2002)
Wakeboarding was ranked the number three growth sport for North American youth, behind skateboarding (1st) and snowboarding (2nd) for the past seven years. (Source: SGMA Super Sports)
Last year, nearly 4 million people around the world participated in wakeboarding - the fastest growing water sport in the world.
Canada is proud to be a leader in the action sport movement, hosting the worldıs largest wakeboard and Canadaıs largest action sports event of the summer. The 6th annual Wakestock World Cup Festival is the ultimate fusion of action sports, music, and youth culture entertainment, attracting crowds of more than 30,000 during the four days of boarding, bands and bikinis.
WHERE IS WAKESTOCK?
Wakestock's hot spot is Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada's number one beach destination and the world's longest fresh water beach:
Wasaga Beach is located 1.5 hours directly north of Toronto, situated between Barrie and Collingwood.
The Wakestock event site is in Provincial Park 'Beach Area 1', located at the east end of town beside the infamous beach bar strip.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 7
- Wakestock Amateur Championship
- Mars Bar Skateboard Park opens (open until Sunday)
- Wakestock Pro Rider & Film Premier Party
FRIDAY, AUGUST 8
- World Cup Pro Qualifications
- Freestyle Motocross Demos begin (continue to Sunday)
- Action Sports Marketplace opens (open until Sunday)
- Extreme Sports Series Kiteboarding demos begin (continue to Sunday)
- Wakestock Concert with Choclair
SATURDAY, AUGUST 9
- World Cup Wakeboard Semi-Finals - Men
- Pro Women's Finals
- Pro Wakeskate Finals
- Freestyle Motocross
- Extreme Music Series Stage: Salads, Clark Nova
- Miss Reef Canada Bikini Contest
- Extreme Music Series Concert: Goldfinger, GOB, Not By Choice
- Wakestock Beach Party (DJ's tba) The Dard
SUNDAY, AUGUST 10
- World Cup Wakeboard Finals - Railslide
- World Cup Wakeboard Finals - Expression
QUICK FACTS AND HIGHLIGHTS:
- The world's largest and most progressive world cup tournament, including Railslide, Expression Session, and Wakeskate competitions.
- The $30,000 in cash up for grabs attracts all of the worldıs top pros.
- One of the largest amateur wakeboarding competitons in the world
- Goldfinger, Gob, Not By Choice, The Salads, and Clark Nova will rock the bandstage Saturday afternoon.
- Canadaıs biggest portable skatepark, with demos from top pros
- Canadaıs premier FMX Expression Session, featuring an 80ı gap jump.
- The worldıs leading kiteboard riders flying more than 30ı in the sky.
- Miss Reef Canada Bikini Contest, enough said.
- Wakestock World Cup is sanctioned by the WWA (World Wakeboard Assoc.)
- This is the 6th annual event
- Wasaga Beach has the longest freshwater beach in the world, with 14 km of white sand beach, and hosts more than 2 million visitors per year
- Wasaga beach is famous for sunsets and unique sand dunes
Ticket prices are as follows:
Thurs., Aug. 7 $7.50
Fri., Aug. 8 $15.50
Sat., Aug. 9 $23.00
Sun., Aug. 10 $16.50
Festival Pass (4 day pass) $33.50
- Kids aged 6 yrs and under are free
- The price of tickets includes access to the Beach Area 1 Wakestock event site and all concerts that take place on the event site. Tickets do not include access to any nightly concerts or parties located at The Dard. Visit www.wakestock.com for nightly party ticket information.
SBC Media Group has been at the forefront of the explosive growth in the action sports and youth lifestyle culture for the last 20 years. SBC Events Inc. has pioneered and produced many of the worldıs top snowboarding, skateboarding, wakeboarding and music lifestyle events throughout Canada, including TV broadcast and music production, to action sport consumer shows, parties and film premieres.
Wakestock is owned and produced by SBC Events Inc, in conjunction with SBC Media Inc., publisher of Canadaıs leading action sports magazines: Snowboard Canada, SBC Skateboard, SBC Wakeboard, SBC Skier, Windsport, SBC Kiteboard, and SBC Sports Business magazines."Wakestock" and "Wakestock World Cup Festival" are trademarks of SBC Media Inc. in Canada, the United States and/or other countries.
For more information, including media registration, please go to our website at www.wakestock.com or contact Marnie DiGiandomenico, Media Relations, by phone: 416-406-2400, ext. 300, by fax: 416-406-0656, or by email: email@example.com